Getting your Evanston news from Facebook? Try the Evanston RoundTable’s free daily and weekend email newsletters – sign up now!
Subscribe to the newsletter!
Evanston Recycling bins are emptied by Groot Recycling. By privatizing, Evanston has been able to expand the number of materials accepted in its recycling program.
The garbage trucks Groot uses transport your recyclables to the plant, where they are sorted. Multi-unit buildings may use a different company to haul recyclables. Reference the recycling guidelines that are specific to your building.
Cans and Foil:
* Steel (tin) cans & bi-metal cans
* Empty aerosol cans
* Aluminum beverage & pet food cans
* Clean aluminum foil & foil containers
* Empty, clean paint cans
* Metal lids and bottle caps
* Newspapers & inserts (remove plastic bags)
* Junk mail (opened)
* Office paper (all colors including envelopes & fax paper)
* Gift-wrap paper & tissue (unlined), kraft paper & greeting cards
* Magazines, catalogs, phone books & paper back books
* Cardboard (flattened)
* Chipboard including cereal boxes, tissue boxes, paper towel & toilet paper rolls, shoe &
food boxes (flattened)
* Egg cartons
* Paper bags & Shredded paper
* Juice boxes and milk cartons (clean)
* All colors of glass bottles & jars. You do not need to remove labels. Rinse.
* Containers, bottles & lids labeled #1, #2, #3, #4 & #5, including liter soda bottles; milk, water & juice containers; food containers; liquid detergent, fabric softener, bleach & shampoo bottles. Rinse. Caps are ok too.
* Containers (narrow-neck only) labeled #7
* Six-pack & 12-pack rings
Items not accepted for curbside recycling:
* Plastic bags or packaging; #6 plastic (polystyrene), foam packaging (styrofoam) or polylactide (PLA) containers (e.g. cornstarch or sugarcane based);
* Scrap metal, cookware or utensils;
* Partially filled aerosol or paint cans;
* Foil-lined, wax, plastic or PLA-coated paper (includes coffee cups and pet food bags);
* Hard bound books;
* Paper towels or food-contaminated paper (e.g. greasy pizza boxes);
* Film or photos;
* Dishware, ceramics, or glassware; window glass or mirrors;
* Light bulbs;
* Oil, antifreeze, pesticide or herbicide containers.
For Curbside Pickup, Remember to …
• Set your bin out by 7 a.m. on your day of collection. Put your address on your bin, and keep it in a safe place between collection days.
• Place cans, bottles and paper together in your bin. If it is too full, use any open container, including cardboard boxes or paper bags, for the excess materials and set beside your bin. Please do not package materials in plastic bags as they are not recycled through the City’s curbside pickup program.
• Report missing bins to Streets and Sanitation using the contact information below.
• Replacement bins are available for lost and damaged bins at no charge. Contact the Streets and Sanitation Division of the Public Works Department using one of these three ways:
1. E-mail a request to: email@example.com
2. Mail a request to the Streets and Sanitation Division, 2020 Asbury Ave., Evanston, IL 60201, or
3. Call the Streets and Sanitation office at 847-866-2940.
Please give name and address and tell us the reason for needing a new bin. If you need another bin because you consistently fill up more than one, there is a $7.00 fee for an additional bin. In this case, you will need to mail a check to the Streets and Sanitation Division before your request can be processed.
If your request is received by noon Thursday, a new bin will generally be delivered to your home on Friday of that week. If for some reason it is delayed, the bin will be delivered the following Friday. Most will be delivered the same week the request is received.
• For missed pick-ups,call Groot at 1-800-35GROOT (1-800-354-7668).
Evanston Recycling Center2222 Oakton St. Fridays: Noon – 7 p.m.Saturdays and Sundays: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.