Getting your Evanston news from Facebook? Try the Evanston RoundTable’s free daily and weekend email newsletters – sign up now!
Subscribe to the newsletter!
The Evanston Police Department observed a significant increase in burglary to vehicle reports over the past 30-60 Days. Most of the incidents occurred during overnight hours in residential communities throughout the city, but predominantly in Beat 72 and 75 (Wards 3 & 6). The vehicles were entered mainly by means of unlocked doors, but also by way of forced entry (broken windows). The items taken have mostly been GPS devices and I-PODS. Help prevent burglaries to your property and throughout the city by taking heed to the tips provided below.
STRATEGIES TO PROTECT YOUR PROPERTY IN YOUR VEHICLE
- NEVER LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE UNLOCKED
- NEVER LEAVE ANY KEYS IN YOUR CAR
- NEVER LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE WINDOWS PARTIALLY OPEN
- DO NOT LEAVE ITEMS OF VALUE IN YOUR VEHICLE SUCH AS; GPS DEVICES, RADAR DETECTORS, CD PLAYERS, PURSES, WALLETS, CHECKBOOKS, CREDIT CARDS, MONEY, COMPUTERS, CAMERAS, BRIEFCASES, CELL PHONES, JEWELRY, BACKPACKS, PRESENTS, ETC.
- DO NOT LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE REGISTRATION, INSURANCE INFORMATION OR OTHER IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS, WITH PERSONAL INFORMATION ON IT, IN YOUR GLOVE BOX
- WHEN POSSIBLE, TAKE YOUR GARAGE DOOR OPENERS INSIDE YOUR HOME OVER NIGHT
- INSTALL A BURGLAR ALARM
- INSTALL A MOTION SENSING LIGHT NEAR RESIDENTIAL DRIVEWAYS & GARAGES
- WRITE THE MAKE, MODEL AND SERIAL NUMBER DOWN IMMEDIATELY AFTER PURCHASING A STEREO SYSTEM, COMPUTER, CAMERA, OR ANY ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT ETC. KEEP THIS
INFORMATION IN A SAFE PLACE
INSIDE YOUR RESIDENCE.