The North Shore Mosquito Abatement District (NSMAD) reported that a pool of mosquitoes from Evanston has tested positive for West Nile Virus. This is the first positive pool identified in Evanston in 2010. So far this year in Illinois there have been 28 positive pools statewide with no human cases reported. The North Shore Mosquito Abatement District has not scheduled any spraying at this time.
Residents should follow these steps to keep safe:
• Eliminate mosquitoes that cause West Nile Virus from your property;
• Dump water out of bird bath’s, children’s toys, pet dishes and rain gutters;
• Remove old tires, empty planters, and other containers that hold water;
• Wear long sleeves and long pants at dusk and dawn; and
• Read instructions on repellent labels before using.
Residents are asked to report water that has been standing for more than 5 days, and to report dead birds seen in Evanston to the Evanston Health Department at 847/866-2949 or email email@example.com for any additional information.