Last season, the Evanston Township High School boys soccer team won the Class 3A Regional championship. The Wildkits hope to do the same, if not more, this season.

Head coach Franz Calixte said the goals for this season are “to improve from last year and be at least in the top three in conference.” He added, “[We want to] at least [qualify for the] sectional finals and have at least 11 victories.”

In order to reach those goals, Coach Calixte said, “We must score more goals. We must hold each other accountable each game and each practice.” He added, “We will work harder than any other team we will play.”

On Aug. 30, the Kits took on Mather in their home-opener at Lazier Field at Memorial Stadium. Mather took an early 1-0 lead with a goal with just under 23 minutes left in the first half. But the Kits responded with a goal from sophomore Manny Quiroz with 20 minutes to go. The Kits added another goal, leading 2-1 at half time.

In the second half, the Kits had a number of chances to increase their lead; Quiroz kicked one through the net to give the Kits a 3-1 lead with just over 24 minutes left in the game. The Kits defense held Mather scoreless the rest of the way, giving the Kits a 3-1 win.

Regarding Mather, Coach Calixte said, “It was our first home game, and our players were hungry to get their first win. We missed several early goals and dominated play until they snuck in the first goal. Even then we knew we were going to win and pulled out the victory.”

The next day, the Kits participated in the Evanston Tournament at Lazier Field. The Kits played Foreman High School and won 9-0. Quiroz scored three goals and had one assist. On Sept. 2, the Kits played Payton and won, 3-0. Then on Sept. 4, they beat Von Steuben, 4-1. With that win, the Kits won the tournament and owned a 4-1-1 record.

On Sept. 7, the Kits hosted Maine West on a windy evening at Lazier Field in Evanston. Early in the first half, Maine West appeared to take the lead, but an offside penalty took it away. After a number of nice stops by both goalies, the score was 0-0 at halftime. The defensive battle continued for much of the second half. The stalemate was finally broken when Maine West scored with about seven and a half minutes to go in the game. The Kits were unable to respond the rest of the way, giving Maine West the 1-0 victory.

The Kits were scheduled to play at Glenbrook North on Sept 14, the day this paper went to press. From there, they play Waukegan on Sept. 16, and Glenbrook South on Sept. 21 and visit archrival New Trier on Sept. 23.

When asked which games they are looking forward to, Coach Calixte said, “We look forward to every game this year, because every game is going to be a chance for us to prove that Evanston soccer is back.”