The Evanston RoundTable newspaper and staff members received 18 journalism awards at the annual Northern Illinois Newspaper Association awards dinner, held in DeKalb on Oct. 20.
The RoundTable newspaper received the 2010 annual Donald R. Grubb Award for non-daily Newspaper Publishing Excellence, presented by the Journalism Department of Northern Illinois University.
Honors went to the RoundTable’s staff in categories of writing, graphics and videos between May, 2009, and April, 2010:
• William Burlingham, first and third place, videos: “Speaking Out at Jan Schakowsky’s Town Meeting on Health Care Reform” and “Blue Spruce Leaves Maple for Church”
• Larry Gavin, first place, editorial: “School District Should Set Higher Expectations for Eighth Graders;” second place, community service, Park School series; third place, education reporting
• Charles Wilkinson, first place, religion story: “Crisis in Rome”; third place, headline writing
• Natalie Wainwright, first place, informational graphic: “‘Kick-Ass’: The Review”
• Mary Helt Gavin, second place, business story: “Easing the Panes of Storefront Vacancies,” and editorial: “Something Has to be Done about Truancy”
• Elliot Burlingham, second place, video: “Wall of Struggle and Dreams”
• Janet G. Messenger, second place, sports story: “March Madness started here in 1939”
• Victoria Scott, third place, technology/medical story: “Pulling Together for Recovery on Water”
• John Macsai, third place, informational graphic: “The Palladio Window: Renderings”
• Evanston RoundTable staff, second place, website; second place, special feature section; second place, attracting young readers, Young Evanston section.