In recognition of the North End Mothers’ Club’s 100th year of service to the Evanston Community, Mayor Elizabeth Tisdahl has proclaimed January, 2011 as North End Mothers’ Club Month in the City of Evanston.The Club is celebrating its centennial year in 2011. The Club traces its history back to 1911 when a group of Evanston women, vitally interested in the children and youth of Evanston, met to plan the organization and draw up a constitution. The purpose of the Club is to promote and advance educational, charitable, civic, health and welfare activities in Evanston and support and assist organizations dedicated to these purposes. Today the Club is comprised of women from throughout Evanston who are interested in supporting these goals.
The Club’s primary focus is on its three scholarships, The NEMC Senior Girl’s Award, the Nursing Scholarship which will be changed to a Girl’s Technology Award in 2011, and the Joanne Murphy Trautwein Music Award, and on donating money to local youth-oriented organizations.
In 2010 the Club donated over $25,000 to District 65 Kids and School Supplies (K.A.S.S), ETHS After Midnight, The Fourth of July Association, Evanston YWCA Women’s Shelter, Keep Evanston Beautiful, McGaw YMCA, Evanston School Children’s Clothing Association (ESCCA), Infant Welfare Society, Evanston Public Library Friends, TED Fund, Evanston in School Music Association and The Child Care Center of Evanston.
The Club has been sponsoring Fortnightly Dance Classes since 1917. The classes, which are open to all Evanston 6th and 7th graders, are the Club’s major fund raising event.
The Club is proud to have founded the Evanston Fourth of July Association in 1922.
The North End Mothers’ Club looks forward to many more years of serving the Evanston community