In honor of Crossing Guard Appreciation Day, the Chicago Department of Transportation and the Active Transportation Alliance are asking neighbors to share stories about their local crossing guards. People throughout the Chicago region are invited to showcase the great work done by their favorite crossing guard at www.activetrans.org/crossingguard.
Stories can be submitted until May 3, 2010, the day Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn declared as Crossing Guard Appreciation Day “in recognition of the services that these dedicated professionals provide to keep our citizens and their children safe.”
“Crossing guards provide an invaluable service to our communities,” said Ron Burke, executive director of the Active Transportation Alliance. “They are out there every day making the streets safer for children on their way to school.”
The Active Transportation Alliance feels that we all owe gratitude to these unsung heroes. Here are a few ways you can help celebrate the efforts of your local crossing guards.
- Download and present them with a certificate of appreciation (visit www.activetrans.org/crossingguard for a certificate you can use).
- Write a thank you note.
- Ask one of your children to draw a picture of your crossing guard in action.
- Give the guard a gift card to a local business.
- Take a photo of your crossing guard and upload it to the Crossing Guard Appreciation Day Flickr group.
- Ask your town to deem May 3 as Crossing Guard Appreciation Day (visit www.activetrans.org/crossingguard for a sample proclamation you can use).
Visit www.activetrans.org/crossingguard to read comments people made about their favorite crossing guards in 2009 and 2010.