Uprooted tree at the edible acre across from ETHS.

Evanston news delivered free to your inbox! 

According to ComEd officials, there were over 500,000 ComEd customers without power following this morning’s storm. Many are due to fallen trees and branches on power lines.

The City of Evanston has been in regular contact with ComEd to deal with the outages. In Evanston, peak outage was at 18,745 ComEd customers; now down to 11,812. ComEd has said they do have crews in Evanston working, but believe this will be a multi-day restoration for the region.

The City estimated this morning that more 50 trees and 100 power lines were down in Evanston due to the storm.

Evanston Township High School reports that the exterior roof on Gym 170 was lost due to the storm, and that a large tree fell on the edible acre.

Residents without power are encouraged to register their power outage with ComEd’s toll-free number so ComEd will know where power is out and so residents can get updates directly from ComEd – 1-800-EDISON1 (1-800-334-7661).

Residents are encouraged to call 3-1-1 to report downed trees, road hazards or for other information. If the loss of power in your home or business requires emergency medical or police assistance, please call 9-1-1.

ComEd also offers the following suggestions for customers experiencing a prolonged outage:

• Turn off all appliances including your furnace, water heater, and water pump.

• Leave a lamp on so you can know when power has been restored.

• Keep freezer and refrigerator doors closed and open them only when necessary. Food will stay frozen for 36 to 48 hours in a fully loaded freezer, if the door remains closed. A half-full freezer will generally keep food frozen for 24 hours.

• Customers who are on medical support equipment are strongly encouraged to evacuate to a place where they can be comfortable and safe.

Update on July 12

The City reports that there were approximately 8,300 ComEd accounts in Evanston without power as of 6 a.m. on July 12. The number dropped to about 4,500 by noon. The City reported that ComEd had at least five crews working in Evanston to restore power, and possibly more from out  of state.