Getting your Evanston news from Facebook? Try the Evanston RoundTable’s free daily and weekend email newsletters – sign up now!
Subscribe to the newsletter!
The City of Evanston Streets and Sanitation Division offers the FREE removal of six cubic yards of bulk garbage twice per year, in the Spring and in the Fall. Fall bulk trash pick-ups begin Friday, September 16, 2011 and pick-up days are determined by which day of the week a resident has their normal trash collection.
All trash must be out by 7 a.m.; City crews will not return for late set outs. If crews are unable to complete routes on Fridays, collection will continue on Saturdays.
Residents with larger debris removal needs can call 3-1-1 to request a special pick-up. This alternative involves a charge.
Bulk trash must meet the following guidelines:
- Be less than six cubic yards per household. Six cubic yards is roughly equivalent to two couches or four chairs or one mattress and box spring, OR 25 medium garbage bags. Quantities that exceed six cubic yards will be tagged for a special pick-up and a fee will be assessed.
- Be placed out in an orderly fashion, i.e. bagged, contained or bundled, no loose garbage. Crews cannot go on private property.
- Absolutely no hazardous materials will be collected, including batteries, gas, oil, asbestos, medical wastes, paint, etc.
- Glass should be broken up, boxed, taped and labeled as glass.
- Must be placed on the alley line or parkway by 7 a.m. Crews will not remove items from private property.
- Absolutely no construction material will be picked up.
- No tires or appliances will be picked up. Please call 3-1-1 to arrange for the free removal of these items.
- Crews will only remove bulk items; no garbage carts will be emptied.