Evanston news delivered free to your inbox! 

On Sept. 2 at 5:20 a.m., John Costulas of Chicago was walking east bound in the 500 block of Howard Street in Evanston, on his way to work. Evanston Police have now determined that as Mr. Costulas approached the Marathon Gas station, 555 Howard St., two assailants approached him, and without provocation, physically attacked him, said Commander Tom Guenther, public information officer of the Evanston Police Department. One of the assailants violently struck Mr. Costulas in the head, which caused him to fall to the ground, said the Commander. The assailants then looked out for possible witnesses, while one assailant went through Mr. Costulas’ pockets. The assailants then fled the area, with Mr. Costulas lying on the ground, unconscious and bleeding, said the Commander. Evanston Police responded and began an investigation. Evanston Fire Paramedics treated and transported Mr. Costulas to St. Francis hospital.  

Due to his extensive injuries, Mr. Costulas remained hospitalized until he succumbed to his injuries on Sept. 10. The Evanston Police Department is working with the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office in order to determine the exact cause and manner of death, said Commander Guenther. 

The Evanston Police Department is now investigating this incident as an open and ongoing homicide investigation. The Police Department has provided the accompanying photos depicting two suspects wanted for questioning. Anyone having information about this incident should contact the Evanston Police Department’s Detective Bureau at (847) 866-5040, or by texting EPDTIP to 274637; all text tips will remain anonymous, said the Commander. 

Update on Sept. 13

The Evanston Police Department, with the assistance of the North Regional Major Crime’s Task Force, has been working around the clock following all leads, pertaining to the homicide investigation of Mr. John Costulas, said Commander Tom Guenther. As a result of this excellent persistent police work, two persons of interest were developed and are now being questioned by investigators at the Evanston police department, he said.

At this time no additional information is going to be released due to investigatory considerations.