A young ballerina preparing for dance class, a musician concentrating on his horn, a collage of faces (human and artistically rendered) on an Evanston street and the sun’s reflection from a statue were the subjects of the winning photos in the Kiwanis Club of Evanston’s “Faces of Evanston” photo contest.
At a reception for the photographers and videographers – a new category this year – the winning photographs and videos were announced.
Dr. Stamata Blanas, who conceived of the program and has chaired it each year, said the program is evolving each year, with the newest innovation the video category.
Kiwanis Club president James Wolinski praised Dr. Blanas’s hard work and offered his congratulations to all the entrants. “Even if you didn’t win, we think of you all as artists,” he said.
The winners are:
• Matt Glavin’s photograph “All the Steps Before the Leap” won first place.
• Two pieces, “Light Reflected on Gold Foil” by Becky Crump, and “Samba” by Laurie Werner tied for second.
• Julie Mahieu took third with “Dempster Street.”
• “Hands on Reflection” by Heidi Randhava won the Voice of the People Award.
• The award for photo manipulation went to “Mirror” by Tim Dilitch,
• … and Matthew Zellner’s video “Lifeguards” won in the newest category, videos.