Spring Bulk Trash Pick-up Schedule
The city’s Streets and Sanitation will offer the free removal of six cubic yards of bulk garbage this spring for once on a designated Friday according to your normally scheduled trash day. Residents must follow the following guidelines:
- Items must be less than six cubic yards per household, which is roughly equivalent to two couches, four chairs, one mattress and box spring, OR 25 medium garbage bags. Quantities that exceed six cubic yards will be tagged as special pick-ups and a fee will be assessed.
- Items must be placed out in an orderly fashion (for example, bagged, contained or bundled. No loose garbage).
- Absolutely no hazardous materials will be collected, including batteries, gas, oil, asbestos, medical waste, paint, etc. (Disposal options for these items can be found here>>> [left side bar has more options]).
- Glass should be broken up, boxed, taped and labeled as glass.
- Bulk trash must be placed out by 7 a.m. on the alley line or parkway. Crews will not remove items from private property nor return for late set-outs.
- Absolutely no construction materials will be picked up.
- No tires or appliances will be collected. Click here for appliance options>>>
- Crews will only remove bulk items; no garbage carts will be emptied.
If crews are unable to complete routes on Fridays, collections will continue on Saturdays. Residents with larger debris removal needs must call 3-1-1 to request a special pickup for a fee.
Yard Waste Collections Have Begun
The city’s weekly yard waste pick-up begins on April 2 and continues on your regular refuse collection day through December 6. To ensure compliance with state laws, yard waste must be collected separately from the rest of the household waste, and residents are required to use any of these three options to dispose of yard waste:
- Place yard waste in paper yard waste bags, such as 30-gal. kraft paper lawn waste bags, available at local stores. A yard waste sticker must be purchased and affixed to each lawn waste paper bag. Plastic bags will not be collected.
- Compost and mulch to recycle the earth’s nutrients. For more information, call the Ecology Center, 847/448-8256.
- Fill a city 90-gal. yard waste cart, available for purchase. These reusable carts do not require the use of bags.
Brush must be bundled and no longer than four feet in length and four inches in diameter. To order a yard waste cart, complete the form online here>>> , and return it with your payment to the City Collector. Carts cost $82.50. The city will perform minor repairs to yard waste carts at no charge.
Residents can buy yard waste stickers at all Evanston Dominick’s, Jewel, Whole Foods, Lemoi Hardware, The Chalet (Wilmette), Harold’s Hardware, Home Depot, Levy Senior Center and the City Collector’s office.
Special pick-up fees for yard waste collection will be assessed after 48 hours for bags without stickers. Three bags will be charged at a rate equal to $25, with each additional three bags being charged $10.
Sanitation Stickers Explained
In an effort to better communicate with our residents, the City of Evanston’s Public Works Department created new stickers to advise residents of any problems with their collections.
- GREEN TAG – PROBLEMS WITH YOUR YARD WASTE – Please remember that yard waste bags need stickers on them, pruned limbs to be bundled and 4’ in length and yard waste needs to be in your alley on your assigned day for collection.
- BLUE TAG – PROBLEMS WITH YOUR RECYCLING – Please remember not to put garbage in your recycling, please rinse all food-related containers and remember to place your recycling cart in your alley on your assigned day for collection.
- WHITE TAG – SPECIAL PICK-UP NOTICE – Special pick-ups are used when the volume of any particular collection exceeds normal limits or the materials are inappropriate for normal collection. Please call 3-1-1 to schedule a special pick-up.