Fire Chief Greg Klaiber said that at 4:45 p.m. today, April 20, the fire department responded to a call for service at 1560 Sherman Ave.  Several occupants reported hearing an explosion from the Com Ed vault on the 18th floor.  Fire Companies arrived and found an arcing electrical cable inside the vault.  There was no sign of fire outside the vault although there was smoke on the 13thfloor, communicated through the buildings HVAC system.  All occupants were evacuated.  Com Ed was immediately notified, responded and was on scene within 30 minutes.  They disconnected the electrical service and secured the vault to repair the affected cable.  Com Ed will remain on the scene with Rotary building management until full service is restored.  Occupants/tenants should be able to return to the building tomorrow, but should check with building management.

Command was terminated at 6:15.  There were no injuries reported.