Northwestern University Police are continuing their investigation and search for a missing Northwestern student, Harsha Maddula, who was reported missing this weekend. All appropriate law enforcement agencies have been notified and are being brought in to assist with the investigation.
Maddula, a sophomore at Northwestern, was last seen Sept. 22 at approximately 12:30 a.m. leaving a party off-campus. He is a resident of the Public Affairs Residential College on Northwestern’s Evanston campus. A missing person report was sent statewide to law enforcement agencies on Sept. 23.
University Police believe there is no indication of any danger or threat to other members of the Northwestern community.
Following is an update on the investigation:
• University Police have requested assistance from the Federal Bureau of Investigation and met with officials from the FBI this morning.
• The Evanston Police Department is assisting with the investigation.
• The Statewide Terrorism and Intelligence Center has been notified, as well as Cook County Department of Emergency Management.
• University Police have interviewed the students who were with Maddula and in his residence hall and searched the area near campus where he was last seen. In addition, UP has reviewed closed circuit TV tapes and electronic key data for Maddula’s residence hall, but neither indicate that he returned to his residence hall that night.
• Northwestern’s chief of police and vice president for student affairs met this morning with Maddula’s parents, who arrived on campus last night.
• A message notifying people of Maddula’s disappearance and containing his description has been sent to the entire campus community. Information also has been posted on the University’s home page and social media sites.
Maddula is described as a male of Indian descent, 18 years old, 5 feet 8 inches tall, approximately 150 pounds, with black hair, dark brown eyes and wearing black-framed glasses. He was last seen wearing a grey long sleeve sweater with white and black stitching. He was also wearing dark grey pants and brown shoes.
If you have any information on the whereabouts of Harsha Maddula, please contact Northwestern University Police at 847-491-3254.
Staff members from Counseling and Psychological Services are available for students who wish to talk with them and may be contacted at 1-2151.