Getting your Evanston news from Facebook? Try the Evanston RoundTable’s free daily and weekend email newsletters – sign up now!
Subscribe to the newsletter!
With the popularity of fire pits increasing, fire safety has become even more important. The use of fire pits is permissible when all City of Evanston regulations are followed.
City of Evanston Fire Pit Regulations:
• Keep away from flammable material and fluids such as gasoline, diesel fuel, kerosene and charcoal lighter fluid or vehicles while in use.
• Do not use flammable fluids such as gasoline, alcohol, diesel fuel, kerosene and charcoal lighter fluid to light or relight fires.
• Exercise the same precautions used with an open fire.
• Do not allow children to use the fire pit. Keep children and pets away.
• Do not wear flammable or loose fitting clothing such as nylon.
• Before starting the fire, make sure that the lid will still close to extinguish the fire in case of emergency. Do not overload.
• Before lighting the fire, check the wind direction.