Getting your Evanston news from Facebook? Try the Evanston RoundTable’s free daily and weekend email newsletters – sign up now!
Subscribe to the newsletter!
Evanston Mayor Elizabeth Tisdahl and Northwestern University President Morton Schapiro announced today the allocation of the first $1 million donation from Northwestern University to the City of Evanston’s Good Neighbor Fund.
In March 2015, Northwestern agreed to donate $1 million annually to the City of Evanston for a period of five years, with proceeds to be spent on projects and services agreed to jointly by Mayor Tisdahl and President Schapiro.
Following a meeting last month, Mayor Tisdahl and President Schapiro agreed to the following allocation:
• $500,000: Sheridan Road improvement project. This project will continue into 2016 and be fully completed in 2017.
• $200,000: Support for Evanston Fire Department paramedics. This allocation represents one full-time ambulance company serving our community 24/7/365.
• $100,000: Support for the City’s Youth and Young Adult Division. This allocation will cover the salary of one of the four existing full-time outreach workers and allow the City to add an additional full-time outreach worker.
• $150,000: Support for at-risk youth job training programs, with $50,000 to support programs covered by existing funding, and $100,000 devoted to new job training programs.
• $50,000: Support the Mayor’s fund to assist families impacted by violent crime.
Mayor Tisdahl said, “The Good Neighbor Fund’s allocation for year one is being directed towards projects that will help Evanston reach its goal of becoming the most livable city. Northwestern is a great university and its presence strengthens our community. I thank President Schapiro for the Good Neighbor policy and look forward to seeing positive outcomes from this generous donation.”
“One of Northwestern’s greatest assets is its location in Evanston, and we are so pleased to offer our assistance as part of our contribution to Evanston’s Good Neighbor Fund,” said Northwestern President Morton Schapiro. “We look forward to working together and providing additional support to the City on important Evanston projects and initiatives in the future.”