Getting your Evanston news from Facebook? Try the Evanston RoundTable’s free daily and weekend email newsletters – sign up now!
Subscribe to the newsletter!
Community members of all ages are encouraged to visit Robert Crown Park over the next few weeks to participate in “Evanston Free Play,” an experimental summer program with one small-sided soccer pitch designed to foster unstructured, more fun soccer play.
Robert Crown Park is located at 1701 Main St., in Evanston. The soccer pitch will rotate to other Evanston park locations to be determined in mid-July.
Thanks to the generous donation of various supporters, there are no fees, no sign-ups, no special equipment and no teams necessary. Cleats and shin guards are recommended. Children and adults of all ages are encouraged to simply show up and play this exciting version of “The Beautiful Game.”
“Evanston Free Play” includes supervision during pre-specified times. All other times are first-come, first-served, subject to limited reserved time periods.
Supervised times are:
Tuesdays and Thursdays
- 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. – Players up to and including U10 (birth year 2007 or later)
- 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. – Players up to and including U12 (birth year 2005 or later)
- 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. – Players up to and including U14 (birth year 2003 or later)
- 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. – Players up to and including U16 (birth year 2001 or later)
- 8 p.m. to 9 p.m. – Players age 17 and over
- 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. – Adults with children
Follow the fun on social media using #EvanstonFreePlay. For questions about play or using the soccer pitch, please call/text 847-448-4311. For convenience, residents may simply dial 3-1-1 in Evanston.