Getting your Evanston news from Facebook? Try the Evanston RoundTable’s free daily and weekend email newsletters – sign up now!
Subscribe to the newsletter!
Fire Department crews were dispatched to a two-flat residence in the 1400 Block of Pitner Avenue on Nov. 14 at 7:18 a.m., after receiving a report of a carbon monoxide alarm going off. After arriving on the scene, eight residents were transported to Presence St. Francis and Evanston Hospitals for evaluation, with some reporting symptoms consistent with carbon monoxide poisoning, such as headaches. All are in stable condition, said Division Chief Paul Polep.
CO levels of 200 parts per million (ppm) were detected in the home, said the Division Chief. The cause of the leak is undetermined at this time. Nicor Gas and the Evanston Fire Department are still investigating the cause.
As the cold weather season arrives, the Evanston Fire Department reminds community members to have their heating units serviced and to check the batteries of carbon monoxide detectors to ensure they are working properly.