Daylight saving time begins at 2 a.m. on Sunday, March 12, 2017. The Evanston Fire Department reminds community members that as they set their clocks forward one hour before going to bed on Saturday night, to also change the batteries in their home’s smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
The National Fire Protection Association reports that 71 percent of smoke alarms which failed to operate had missing, disconnected or dead batteries. An ionization smoke detector is best suited for flaming fires and a photoelectric smoke detector is best suited for smoldering fires. For the best protection, residents should have both types of detectors or a combination detector (photoelectric and ionization) installed in their homes.
Every family should have a fire safety plan to ensure everyone is prepared should an emergency occur. It’s never too late to create your plan.
Other safety tips include:
Be sure the smoke detector has the label of a recognized testing laboratory.
Test detectors monthly by pushing the test button.
Smoke alarms are required in every bedroom, outside each separate sleeping area and on every level of the home, including the basement.
Carbon monoxide alarms are required within 15 feet of every bedroom.
Follow the manufacturer’s instructions and install smoke detectors high on walls or on a ceiling.
Replace batteries in all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors at least once a year. If the detector chirps, warning the battery is low, replace the battery right away.
Plan and practice your home escape plan.
When a smoke alarm sounds, get outside and stay outside.