The City of Evanston will contract improvements to Fountain Square and the 1500 block of Sherman Avenue beginning the week of April 3, with project completion expected in December 2017. The project is funded through Tax Increment Financing and General Obligation Funds for Capital Improvement Projects.
Improvements will include:
- A newly renovated Fountain Square Plaza, including a new zero depth decorative fountain, Veterans memorial, lighting, street furniture and landscaping.
- A new pedestrian plaza space south of Davis Street, between Orrington and Sherman Avenues, including new paving, lighting, street furniture and landscaping.
- New street lighting in the 1500 block of Sherman Avenue.
- New traffic signals at the Sherman Avenue/Davis Street and Orrington Avenue/Davis Street intersections.
- New roadway pavements along the 1500 block of Sherman Avenue and along Davis Street, between Sherman and Orrington Avenues, including the creation of a “curbless street,” which raises the elevation of the roadway to match adjacent sidewalks.
The project will be completed in four phases. View the Fountain Square project newsletter for details. Phase 1 work will be preceded by exploratory and utility work utilizing daytime closures in specific work areas.
Actual dates when construction is planned will be noted on temporary “No Parking” signs posted 48 hours prior to the start of work. Parking will be available in the Sherman Avenue garage located on the corner of Sherman Avenue and Davis Street.
The general contractor for this project is Copenhaver Construction, 75 Koppie Dr., Gilberts, IL.
The City has retained Christopher B. Burke Engineering, Ltd. to monitor the project. For questions or concerns during construction, please contact Resident Engineer Tracy Wais, P.E., at 847-878-0501. General questions about the project should be directed to Stefanie Levine, PLA, at 3-1-1 or 847-448-4311.