Getting your Evanston news from Facebook? Try the Evanston RoundTable’s free daily and weekend email newsletters – sign up now!
Subscribe to the newsletter!
The 2017 Evanston Recycles event will take place on Saturday, July 8, 9 a.m. to noon, at Evanston Township High School.
The City of Evanston hosts an annual “Evanston Recycles” event normally held at the Evanston Township High School, 1600 Dodge Ave., each July on a Saturday morning. The free “drive up, drop off” event provides residents an opportunity to recycle a variety of items and securely shred documents. Cars should enter on Church Street west of Brown Avenue.
Residents who bring items to recycle or shred are asked to follow the signs and remain in their cars as City staff unload the items. Electronics recycling and document destruction are open to residents of all Solid Waste Agency of Northern Cook County (SWANCC) communities, which includes Evanston.
The following electronic materials will be accepted:
- Cell phones
- Computers (PCs and laptops)
- Computer monitors
- DVR/Cable boxes
- DVD and VHS players
- Fax machines
- Mice and keyboards
- MP3 players and PDAs
- Printers and scanners
- Video game consoles
Additional items accepted at the event include:
- Vases (clean, dry and empty)
- Batteries (vehicle batteries not accepted)
- Fluorescent light bulbs; small fluorescent bulbs should be placed in sealable plastic bags (incandescent light bulbs not accepted)
- Plastic grocery bags and other plastic film
- Clothes and textiles
- American flags, POW flags and Service flags
- Bicycles and bicycle parts (broken, used bikes and parts welcome)
- Reusable bags
- Pop tabs
- Hearing aids
Residentially generated, unused prescriptions and expired over-the-counter drugs will be accepted for disposal. Medications considered to be a controlled substance will also be accepted. Participants are asked to follow these guidelines for medication disposal:
- Medicines must be in labeled containers; no loose pills
- No needles or syringes (used or new)
- Multiple medicine bottles should be transported in a clear re-sealable storage bag
- No bulk turn-ins
Document Shredding and Recycling
Residents can bring up to five banker’s boxes of paper documents to be shredded on site. Documents should be placed in a box or brown paper bag and large metal clips and binders should be removed ahead of time. Staples and paper clips are acceptable. Document shredding is not available for businesses.
The City’s “Evanston Recycles” event is supported by the Solid Waste Agency of Northern Cook County (SWANCC), NorthShore University HealthSystem, Stericycle, Evanston Sunrise Lions Club, Evanston American Legion Post 42, Random Acts of Flow