Subscribe to the newsletter!
The City of Evanston’s Public Works Agency offers residents the free removal of up to six cubic yards of bulk garbage twice per year. Fall 2017 bulk trash pick-ups will take place on Fridays, October 6 through 27, and are scheduled according to residents’ normal refuse pick-up day.
Bulk trash pick-up for residents whose normal refuse collection day is:
- Monday will be Friday, October 6
- Tuesday will be Friday, October 13
- Wednesday will be Friday, October 20
- Thursday will be Friday, October 27
Residents are encouraged to visit cityofevanston.org/bulktrash or call/text 847-448-4311 to sign up for convenient text message or email notifications to be reminded of spring and fall bulk trash pick-ups. Notifications will be sent out two weeks prior to the bulk trash pick-up day, and again two days prior to the bulk trash pick-up day.
Bulk trash must meet the following guidelines:
- Items must be less than six cubic yards per household, which is roughly equivalent to a love seat and chair, or one mattress and box spring, or 25 medium garbage bags. Quantities that exceed six cubic yards will be tagged for a special pick-up and a fee will be assessed.
- Items must be placed on the alley line or in the parkway, whichever is the resident’s regular refuse collection area, in an orderly fashion. (For example, items must be bagged, contained or bundled. No loose garbage.) City crews will not remove items from private property.
- Absolutely no construction materials, electronics, tires, appliances or hazardous materials will be collected. Hazardous materials include batteries, gas, oil, asbestos, pesticides, medical wastes and paint.
- Glass should be broken up, boxed, taped and labeled as glass.
- Crews will only remove bulk items; no garbage carts will be emptied.