On Oct. 21 the Kits beat Loyola Academy, 2-0, to capture the Regional title for the sixth straight year. In top photo, Nicholas Henriquez heads the ball, while teammates look on. In bottom photo, goalie Gavin Rosegarten leaps to grab a ball, preserving a shutout against the Ramblers. Photos by Lynn Trautmann, LTPhoto Evanston

After finishing the regular season with a victory over Stevenson on Oct. 12, the Evanston Township High School boys soccer team looked to carry the momentum of that victory into postseason play. The Wildkits, who earned the No. 3 seed in the New Trier Sectional, did just that as they beat Prospect on Oct. 18 by a score of 7-2 in the opening round of the Evanston Regional as Lazier Field in Evanston.

In that game, the Kits were led by seniors Colin Thompson and Miguel Jimenez, who scored two goals apiece. In addition, senior Carlo DiBernardo, junior Reed Hurtig and sophomore Matt Webley also scored as the Kits advanced to the Regional title game against Loyola Academy on Oct. 21. Against the Ramblers, the Kits shutout the visitors by a score of 2-0 to capture the Regional title for the sixth straight year.

From there, the Kits opened the New Trier Sectional round against the host Trevians on Oct. 25. The Kits entered the contest in search of revenge as their longtime rivals won the only matchup between the teams in the regular season by a score of 1-0 in a Sept. 19 meeting at Lazier Field. Although that meeting held significance as the “fire hydrant trophy” was at stake, this meeting held more weight as the losers’ season would come to an end. Fortunately, it was the Trevians whose season ended as the Kits prevailed by a score of 3-2.

In that game, the Kits got on the board first when senior Nate Pollack scored in the sixth minute of play. But that lead was short lived as the Trevians answered with a goal to tie it at 1-1 just three minutes later. The Kits were able to reclaim the lead from there when sophomore midfielder Quinn Ackman kicked it to the back of the net to give the Kits a 2-1 lead shortly before the intermission

 In the second half, the Kits extended the lead to 3-1 when senior midfielder Johnny Trujillo scored with just over 24 minutes remaining in the contest. But the Trevians did not go down quietly, as they got back to within 3-2 and had two chances to score in the final minute. But senior goalie Gavin Rosengarten denied both shots on goal to help seal the victory.

With the win, the Kits improved to 14-4-4 overall and earned a chance to play for the Sectional title against No. 1 seeded Glenbrook North. The Spartans beat Leyden by a score of 2-0 in their semifinal, thus setting up the matchup between the two Central Suburban League Conference foes on Oct. 28.

Against the Spartans, the Kits were able to knock off the top-seeded team in the Sectional as they prevailed by a score of 3-2 at New Trier’s Northfield Campus Stadium.  Once again, it was Johnny who scored the game-winning goal as he scored with approximately nine minutes remaining in the game. Other goal scorers for the Kits were Colin and Miguel. By prevailing over Glenbrook North, the Kits not only improved to 15-4-4, they also captured a third straight Sectional championship.

On Oct. 31, the Kits lost in the Supersectionals, 3-0, to Libertyville, ranked No. 4 in the nation by one website. Libertyville now advances to the final four in the State tournament.

The Wildkits finished the season with a 15-5-4 record. They were among the final eight top teams in the State for the last three seasons.