The City of Evanston’s Public Works Agency offers residents the free removal of up to six cubic yards of bulk garbage twice per year. Fall 2018 bulk trash pick-ups will take place on Fridays, October 5 through 26, and are scheduled according to residents’ normal refuse pick-up day.
Bulk trash pick-up for residents whose normal refuse collection day is:
- Monday will be Friday, October 26
- Tuesday will be Friday, October 5
- Wednesday will be Friday, October 12
- Thursday will be Friday, October 19
Condo buildings that are serviced by Lakeshore Recycling, the City’s contracted condo trash services provider, can participate in bulk trash pick-up according to the schedule above based on their location (view map). Condos that privately contract for trash and recycling services are not able to participate in the City’s bulk pick-up program. Condo residents can find out if they’re eligible to participate by contacting their building management or by calling/texting 847-448-4311.
Residents are encouraged to visit cityofevanston.org/bulktrash or call/text 847-448-4311 to sign up for convenient text message or email notifications to be reminded of bulk trash pick-ups. Notifications will be sent out two weeks prior to the bulk trash pick-up day, and again two days prior to the bulk trash pick-up day.
Bulk trash must meet the following guidelines:
- Items must be less than six cubic yards per household, which is roughly equivalent to a love seat and chair, or one mattress and box spring, or 25 medium garbage bags. Quantities that exceed six cubic yards will be tagged for a special pick-up and a fee will be assessed.
- Items must be placed on the alley line or in the parkway, whichever is the resident’s regular refuse collection area, in an orderly fashion. (For example, items must be bagged, contained or bundled. No loose garbage.) City crews will not remove items from private property.
- Absolutely no construction materials, electronics, tires, appliances or hazardous materials will be collected. Hazardous materials include batteries, gas, oil, asbestos, pesticides, medical wastes and paint.
- Glass should be broken up, boxed, taped and labeled as glass.
- Crews will only remove bulk items; no garbage carts will be emptied.
For more information on bulk trash pick-up, visit cityofevanston.org/bulktrash or call/text 847-448-4311. For convenience, residents may simply dial 3-1-1 in Evanston.