City of Evanston logo

 Evanston residents who are employed by the federal government and are not receiving their paychecks may qualify for the City’s Emergency Assistance program.

Emergency Assistance, administered by the City’s Health & Human Services Department, provides residents with financial assistance for expenses related to housing, utilities and food. To qualify for the program, federal employees must reside in Evanston and provide proof that they are furloughed. Documentation may include a pay stub or a letter from their employer. 

Community members can apply for Emergency Assistance in-person at the City’s General Assistance Office located in the Morton Civic Center, Room 1600, 2100 Ridge Ave., in Evanston.

The City will also serve as an ombudsman to connect furloughed residents with other resources that may be available to them. Residents may call or text 847-448-4311 for assistance.

Additional food resources are available to community members at soup kitchens and food pantries sponsored by Interfaith Action of Evanston and its partners. Visit for more information.

For questions or more information, please call or text 847-448-4311. For convenience, residents may simply dial 3-1-1 in Evanston.