The City of Evanston’s Public Works Agency offers residents the free removal of up to six cubic yards of bulk garbage twice per year. Spring 2019 bulk trash pickups will take place on Fridays, April 5 through 26, and are scheduled according to residents’ normal refuse pickup day.
Bulk trash pickup for residents whose normal refuse collection day is:
- Wednesday will be Friday, April 5
- Thursday will be Friday, April 12
- Monday will be Friday, April 19
- Tuesday will be Friday, April 26
Condo buildings that are served by Lakeshore Recycling, the City’s contracted condo trash service provider, can participate in bulk trash pickup according to the residential schedule above based on their location (view map). Condos that privately contract for trash and recycling services are not able to participate in the City’s bulk pickup program. Condo residents can find out if they’re eligible by contacting their building management or by calling/texting 847-448-4311.
Bulk trash must meet the following guidelines:
- Items must be less than six cubic yards per household, which is roughly equivalent to a love seat and chair, or one mattress and box spring, or 25 medium garbage bags. Quantities that exceed six cubic yards will be tagged for a special pickup and a fee will be assessed.
- Items must be placed on the alley line or in the parkway, whichever is the resident’s regular refuse collection area, in an orderly fashion by 7 a.m. on the bulk pickup day. (For example, items must be bagged, contained or bundled. No loose garbage.) City crews will not remove items from private property.
- Absolutely no construction materials, electronics, tires, appliances or hazardous materials will be collected. Hazardous materials include batteries, gas, oil, asbestos, pesticides, medical wastes and paint.
- Glass should be broken up, boxed, taped and labeled as glass.
- Crews will only remove bulk items; no garbage carts will be emptied.
Residents are encouraged to visit cityofevanston.org/bulktrash or call/text 847-448-4311 to sign up for convenient text message or email notifications to be reminded of spring and fall bulk trash pickups. Notifications will be sent out two weeks prior to the bulk trash pickup day, and again two days prior to the bulk trash pickup day.
For more information on bulk trash pickup, recycling and other disposal information, visit cityofevanston.org/bulktrash or call/text 847-448-4311. For convenience, residents may simply dial 3-1-1 in Evanston.