- Welcome Alderman Robin Rue Simmons, 5th Ward
- Reparations Subcommittee Reports a. Progress Update, Alderman Robin Rue Simmons, 5th Ward b. Financial Update, Alderman Ann Rainey, 8th Ward c. Housing Remedy, Alderman Peter Braithwaite, 2nd Ward
- Statement from Reparations Stakeholders
- Education Stakeholders Report
- Special Guest Speaker Spencer Jourdain
- NAARC Commissioner’s Final Assessment Danny Glover Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee of Texas
- Closing Alderman Robin Rue Simmons, 5th Ward
‘Checkout’ Podcast With Ald. Simmons
Jill Schacter recently interviewed Alderman Robin Rue Simmons on her podcast, the checkout.
Ms. Schacter notes that Ald. Simmons, the Fifth Ward alderman for the City of Evanston “”grew up and currently lives in the Fth Ward.
“”She is Chair of the City’s Reparations Subcommittee and is the lead behind the nation’s very first local reparations program, historic policy made right here in Evanston.
“”Her entire career has been profoundly influenced by the economic disparities she observed growing up in Evanston. She continues to work to improve opportunities for African Americans in the areas of housing, wealth building, and economic development with a solutions-only focus.
“”In this episode we talk about Robin’s childhood in Evanston and early signs of leadership. We take a deep dive into Evanston’s reparations plan, and discuss the many ways that others can get involved and support the plan. Robin talks about how she views this moment in time as we face a pandemic, civil unrest, and growing disparities. She talks about what keeps her in the fight for social justice and repair.””
The podcast can be found here.