Evanston news delivered free to your inbox!
Sixteen candidates filed on the first day of filing for the 2021 Municipal Election, and more are expected to come with contested races already shaping up for most of Evanston’s nine wards as well as for the Mayor and City Clerk offices.
Those filing included six incumbent aldermen, including Eighth Ward Alderman Ann Rainey, whose Council service dates back to 1983.
Other longtime incumbents who filed on the first day include Aldermen Judy Fiske, 1st Ward; Peter Braithwaite, 2nd Ward; Melissa Wynne, 3rd Ward; Donald Wilson, 4th Ward; and Eleanor Revelle, 7th Ward.
More incumbents are expected to join them, vying for another four-year term, with the filing period running through next Monday, Nov. 23, at 5 p.m.
By office, here is a list of the candidates who filed on the first day, according to the list compiled by the City Clerk’s Office. Note: This story originally listed the candidates in the order in which the City Clerk gave them to the writer. The names are now listed alphabetically.
For Mayor: Daniel Biss, Lori Keenan
For City Clerk: Jane Grover, Stephanie Mendoza
For First Ward: Judy Fiske, Clare Kelly
For Second Ward: Peter Braithwaite, Darlene Cannon
For Third Ward: Melissa Wynne
For Fourth Ward: Diane Goldring, Jonathan Nieuwsma, Donald Wilson
For Fifth Ward: Carolyn Murray; Bobby Burns filed on Tuesday
For Sixth Ward: Katherine Trippi
For Seventh Ward: Eleanor Revelle, Mary Rosinski
For Eighth Ward: Matthew Mitchell, Ann Rainey
The RoundTable will be updating this list as more candidates file.The City Clerk’s Office lists a number of important dates, looking forward:
- Monday, Nov. 30 is the last day for filing objections to nomination papers of candidates who filed during the filing period.
- Thursday, Dec. 17 is the last day to file a withdrawal of candidacy with the Clerk’s office.
- Thursday, Dec. 17 is the last day for the local election official to certify candidates, offices and any referenda questions to the election authority.
- Thursday, Dec. 24 is the last day to file a notarized Declaration of Intent to be a Write-in candidate.
- Monday, Jan. 24 is the last day for filing petitions for referenda for the submission of questions of public policy with the local election authority.”
The Consolidated Primary Election is set for Tuesday, Feb. 23, 2021.
The Consolidated Election is Tuesday, April 6, 2021.
A mayoral primary and primaries for aldermen will be held where four or more candidates are running.
More information is available in the reports and presentations tab on the City Clerk’s web page on the City of Evanston’s website, cityofevanston.org.