Getting your Evanston news from Facebook? Try the Evanston RoundTable’s free daily and weekend email newsletters – sign up now!
Subscribe to the newsletter!
To combat a surge in COVID-19 infections, Governor J.B. Pritzker and the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) announced new statewide COVID-19 resurgence mitigations effective 12:01 a.m. on Friday, November 20.
The Tier 3 mitigations are intended to suppress the spread of the virus and ensure that hospitals do not become overrun. According to the IDPH, COVID-19 spread is now exponential in every region of the state, Illinois’ statewide positivity rate is at record highs, and hospitalizations are surpassing the state’s spring peak.
Although these new mitigations do not include a Stay-at-Home Order, residents are urged to limit gatherings and stay home as much as possible.
Tier 3 mitigation measures include:
· Retail businesses may operate at no more than 25 percent capacity
· Grocery stores and pharmacies may operate at up to 50 percent capacity
· Curbside pickup and delivery options are encouraged wherever possible
· Bars and restaurants must close at 11 p.m. and may reopen no earlier than 6 a.m. the following day
· Personal care services may operate at lesser of 25 clients or 25 percent capacity, but services where a face covering cannot be worn (e.g. facials, beard trims) must be suspended
· Health and fitness centers may operate at 25 percent capacity but close locker rooms, require reservations, and stop hosting indoor classes
· Casinos and indoor recreation centers (e.g. theaters, performing arts centers, museums) must close
· Indoor youth and adult recreational sports paused, but outdoor sports and recreation may continue with a 10 person limit, face coverings and social distancing
· All employees who can work remotely should work remotely
Limit in-home gatherings to household members only
A full list of mitigation measures pertaining to some businesses and industries may be found on the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity (DCEO) website at dceocovid19resources.com/restore-illinois.
To help reduce the spread of COVID-19, Evanston’s Health & Human Services Department urges residents to continue following all public health guidelines, including:
· Stay home as much as possible
· Refrain from hosting or attending social gatherings with those who do not live in your household
· Maintain a distance of at least six feet from those outside of your household
· Wear a face covering over your nose and mouth in public settings (indoors and outdoors) when social distancing is not practical
· Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly
· Stay home if you’re experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, or if you’ve been in close contact with a person infected with COVID-19
· Cover coughs and sneezes
· Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces
Evanston’s Health & Human Services Department will be monitoring compliance with the mitigation measures. Residents may call or text 847-448-4311 to report any issues or concerns.
Find additional Evanston specific information on the City’s website.