Evanston news delivered free to your inbox!
Evanston’s Public Works Agency is preparing for another weather system expected to enter our area early this evening. The system is anticipated to bring up to 8 inches of snow accumulation – with the heaviest snowfall expected between 7 p.m. and 7 a.m. – before leaving the area on Sunday evening.
Public Works crews will be on hand to clear streets throughout the event.
Voluntary Parking Restrictions
Help reduce the need for enforced parking restrictions in the days to come by voluntarily complying with posted parking restrictions.
- Avoid parking on Snow Routes overnight Saturday and Sunday: Help Public Works crews keep main thoroughfares clear by avoiding parking on Snow Routes overnight on Saturday and Sunday, from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Follow Snow Emergency even/odd restrictions Sunday and Monday: You can help plows clear side streets by following posted Snow Emergency parking restrictions on Sunday and Monday. This applies to streets with parking on both sides that are not posted as Snow Routes.
- Avoid parking on sides of the street with odd-numbered addresses on from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Jan. 31 and Feb. 1 (Sunday and Monday are both odd dates. Please follow the posted street signage.)
By moving your vehicle according to the posted signage, you’ll also allow City plows to clear the parking spaces in front of your home.
Additional updates will follow in the event that enforced parking restrictions are declared or additional voluntary compliance is requested.
Visit cityofevanston.org/snow for more information. Thank you for your cooperation as we work to keep Evanston streets safe.
Free Parking in Downtown Garages Continues
Parking also available at AMITA Health St. Francis garage
With more snow in the forecast, the City has extended free parking in downtown garages through Wed., Feb. 3 at 11:59 p.m.
- Sherman Plaza, 821 Davis St.
- Maple Avenue, 1800 Maple Ave.
- Church Street, 525 Church St.
Drivers will need to present the ticket they received upon entering the garage in order to exit for free.
Additional free parking options: AMITA Health St. Francis Hospital is also offering free parking in its parking garage, located at Sherman Avenue and Austin Street, through Wed., Feb. 3.
Street parking reminder: Parking meters, pay stations and mobile pay zones continue to be enforced. Download the Park Evanston mobile app.
A Good Neighbor Shovels the Sidewalk
Don’t forget to clear your sidewalks of snow and ice to allow everyone, including seniors and those with disabilities, to travel safely.
As a reminder:
- Property owners and occupants are responsible for clearing sidewalks within 24 hours after any accumulation of snow or ice; paths must be at least 36 inches wide. This includes crosswalks and accessibility ramps.
- All sidewalks and walkways on multi-family properties must be cleared.
- If removing the snow is not possible, use salt or sand to eliminate the hazard.
- Clear snow from around trash and recycling containers so crews can access them.
- Adopt a fire hydrant. Clear snow so that first responders can see and access it in the event of an emergency.
Get assistance: The Snow Shoveling Assistance Program connects senior and disabled residents with volunteers who are willing to provide snow shoveling services.