Plowing operations are in full force as the City’s Public Works Agency responds to this weekend’s snowfall.
Voluntary Parking Restrictions
Help reduce the need for enforced parking restrictions in the days to come by voluntarily complying with posted parking restrictions.
- Avoid parking on Snow Routes overnight on Sunday: Help Public Works crews clear main thoroughfares by avoiding parking on Snow Routes again overnight tonight, from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Follow Snow Emergency even/odd restrictions today and Monday: You can help plows clear side streets by following posted Snow Emergency parking restrictions today and Monday. This applies to streets with parking on both sides that are not posted as Snow Routes.
- Avoid parking on sides of the street with odd-numbered addresses on Sun., Jan. 31 and Mon., Feb. 1 from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. (Sunday and Monday are both odd dates. Please follow the posted street signage.)
By moving your vehicle according to the posted signage, you’ll also allow City plows to clear the parking spaces in front of your home.
Additional updates will follow in the event that enforced parking restrictions are declared or additional voluntary compliance is requested.
Visit cityofevanston.org/snow for more information. Thank you for your cooperation as we work to keep Evanston streets safe.
Free Parking Options
Downtown parking garages
To facilitate plowing operations, the City has extended free parking in downtown garages through Wed., Feb. 3 at 11:59 p.m. Garages are located at:
- Sherman Plaza, 821 Davis St.
- Maple Avenue, 1800 Maple Ave.
- Church Street, 525 Church St.
Drivers will need to present the ticket they received upon entering the garage in order to exit for free.
City parking lots
The City is also offering free parking in the following surface parking lots until Thurs., Feb. 4 at 8 a.m.:
- Lot 16, 800/900 Noyes St. at the CTA tracks
- Lot 24, 727 Main St.
- Lot 54, Central Street Metra Station
- Lot 27, 1621 Oak Ave.
- Lot 68, 700 block of Howard St.
- Lot 4, Central Street at Stewart Avenue (metered spaces only)
- Lot 51, 927 Noyes St. (metered spaces only)
- Lot 25, 1614 Maple Ave. (metered spaces only)
- James Park, between the west field house and the hill, as well as the south lot near the CTA tracks (NOT the Levy Center parking lot)
AMITA Health St. Francis parking garage
AMITA Health is also offering free parking in its parking garage, located at Sherman Avenue and Austin Street, through Wed., Feb. 3.
Street parking reminder
Parking meters, pay stations and mobile pay zones continue to be enforced. Download the Park Evanston mobile app.
Be a good neighbor, shovel your sidewalks
Don’t forget to clear your sidewalks of snow and ice to allow everyone, including seniors and those with disabilities, to travel safely. As a reminder:
- Property owners and occupants are responsible for clearing sidewalks within 24 hours after any accumulation of snow or ice; paths must be at least 36 inches wide. This includes crosswalks and accessibility ramps.
- All sidewalks and walkways on multi-family properties must be cleared.
- If removing the snow is not possible, use salt or sand to eliminate the hazard.
- Clear snow from around trash and recycling containers so crews can access them.
- Adopt a fire hydrant. Clear snow so that first responders can see and access it in the event of an emergency.
- Get assistance: The Snow Shoveling Assistance Program connects senior and disabled residents with volunteers who are willing to provide snow shoveling services.