The Evanston Public Library is beginning a 10-session listening and sharing series to engage the communities it serves, build community relationships and advance its equity, diversity and inclusion efforts.
These video conference sessions are open to public participation and planned throughout the final four months of 2021. Evanstonians can register for the various sessions at https://www.eventbrite.com/o/evanston-public-library-34184005667, where both English and Spanish pages can be found.
“I look forward to listening to community members from all across Evanston,” said EPL Executive Director Karen Danczak Lyons. “I look forward to hearing new voices – those who do not currently use our services or attend our programs – to learn how we can better serve everyone’s needs and meet the diverse expectations or programming and resources.
“Collaborating with the community is critical in re-imagining the future of the library.”
The objective of each session is to provide a space for community and library sharing, community listening and collective dreaming about the future of the library. Through these video conference engagements, EPL hopes to gain greater insights than any traditional canvassing or survey. Understanding community members’ time and insights are valued, so EPL is compensating adult and teen participants with a gift card.
Each session is targeted to a specific demographic. Minneapolis-based Strong & Starlike Consulting will moderate the sessions as well as help EPL analyze the feedback generated. The current schedule is:
- Engagement 1: Thursday, Sept. 16 from 9 to 11 a.m. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/evanston-public-library-engagement-1-september-16-2021-tickets-165772488977
- Engagement 2: Youth Engagement (Teens), Monday, Sept. 20 from 7 to 8:30 p.m.
- Engagement 3: Seniors Engagement (55+), Wednesday, Sept. 29 from 1 to 3 p.m.
- Engagement 4: Wednesday, Oct. 6 from 3 to 5 p.m.
- Engagement 5: Thursday, Oct. 14 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
- Engagement 6: Friday, Oct. 29 from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Engagement 7: Families & Children Engagement, Saturday, Nov. 6 from 1:30 to 3 p.m.
- Engagement 8: Tuesday, Nov. 9 from noon to 2 p.m.
- Engagement 9: Thursday, Nov. 18 from 9 to 11 a.m.
- Engagement 10: Wednesday, Dec. 8 from 5 to 7 p.m.
To learn more, visit EPL.org as well as https://sites.google.com/strongandstarlike.com/epl-listening-and-sharing/frequently-asked-questions or Spanish-language site https://sites.google.com/strongandstarlike.com/epl-escucha-e-intercambio/visi%C3%B3n-general.
About the Evanston Public Library
Founded in 1870, the library strives for unapologetic equity in meeting the diverse needs of our residents. Through redefining what access to resources means, the library promotes all forms of literacy.