Two Dogs, with Everything
Our family has lived with two dogs at a time since 2004. I highly recommend doubling down, but you need to commit, and it’s not for everyone. Two dogs mean twice the cost and twice the poop – omigod, pounds of it. More barking, more hair everywhere, more chewed baseboards, soiled rugs and steamrolled hydrangeas and fountain grass.
So why have two (or more) dogs? For fun, of course. That’s the core for me. Comic relief, companionship, a constant show. It’s great watching them communicate with quick glances then launch into a tumbling playfight, a demented give-and-take chase with paw punches, crashes and rolls. Then comes the simultaneous, circling collapse into a panting session and snooze. Ancient behaviors on display – you can almost hear the Richard Attenborough narration.
Having a roommate is good for dogs. Pack animals are social creatures and prefer to be with others of their kind. Would you want to be the only member of your species in a group? A human in a mob of kangaroos? I think not.
Dogs also teach each other stuff they need to know, like where the holes are in the fence and when to beg for a Snausage. A friend who understands you is always nearby. Even if you crate your dogs at night, I think they sleep more soundly as a pair.
So, go ahead and add a pup. If you’re currently dogless, be a good egg and rescue two. It’s a dog’s life. Let them go through it with a pal.
Sniff you later – and send in your dog stories.
Rolling with the Pack
These two can be seen cycling around town, this time at Bennison’s on a recent Saturday morning, visualizing dropped crullers. No restraints, they just sit there. The secret is well-timed treats, their person says.
How Old is that Doggie in the Window?
“Dog years” are usually expressed as human years times seven. But the American Veterinary Medical Association breaks it down like this:
- Fifteen human years equals the first year of any size dog. That puppy is a teenager.
- Year two for a medium-size dog equals about nine years for a human. Your two-year-old dog is 24 in human terms.
- After that, each human year is approximately five years for medium dogs.
- Smaller dogs tend to live longer than larger ones, but they may mature more quickly in the first few years of life. They don’t become seniors until around age 10.
- Big dogs age more slowly at first but are nearing middle age by five or so.
Who Wants a Treat? Five Funny Dog Names
- Kanye Westie
- Hairy Pawter
- Joe Bitin’
- Sir Barks-a-Lot
- Megan thee Schnauzer
By Lyon H. Reedy