Downtown Evanston is hosting the fourth annual Evanston Hygge Fest from Feb. 1 through Feb. 28. Pronounced “hue-gah,” this Danish expression is an attitude towards life that emphasizes finding joy in everyday moments and celebrates coziness, warmth, family and mindfulness especially during the winter months.
Throughout February, local businesses and artists host in-person and virtual workshops and offer special promotions on products or food items that encourage people to incorporate more coziness, warmth and mindfulness in their lives. Participants can learn to make a macrame plant holder, linocut printing, floral bouquets, sourdough bread, a wooden serving tray, wall weaving and more. The event also promotes cozy products available at local shops and take-home meal kits from restaurants like Nakorn’s Tea Kits, Patisserie Coralie’s High Tea To-Go, Prairie Moon’s Sunday Lasagna Dinner and more.
“We work with businesses to create new events and promote existing events that fall in line with the hygge theme. In addition to providing residents and visitors with fun, creative and cozy activities, this event supports local businesses during a typically slow part of the year,” said Annie Coakley, Director of Downtown Evanston.
New this year, Downtown Evanston organized a “Fika Crawl” to encourage people to take a break during their days to enjoy a warm beverage and sweet treat. “Fika” (pronounced fee-ka) is a Swedish word meaning to slow down and reconnect with yourself and others, usually with a coffee or tea and sweet treat.
Participants will pick up a Fika Crawl punch card at one of the participating businesses, collect stamps when making purchases and turn in their cards for a Fika Crawl mug. Participants that collect all the stamps will be entered to win a Hygge Fest Basket consisting of cozy items from local businesses. View details here.
Visit downtownevanston.org/hyggefest for details and to register or purchase tickets (note that some events are free and others are ticketed).
Hygge Workshops & Classes
- February 5 | Ayla’s Originals Leather & Laces BeadTV
- February 5 | Studio 3 “Light Your Space: Candleholder Workshop”
- February 5 | Evanston Rebuilding Warehouse “Make a T-Shirt Rug”
- February 8 | Evanston Games & Cafe Board Game Open House
- February 9 | Commonwealth Running “Cozy Fun Run & Brewery Night”
- February 10 | J. Villa Workshop Macramé Plant Hangers
- February 12 | Studio 3 “Stamp Art Card Making”
- February 12 | Evanston Rebuilding Warehouse “Make It Take It Serving Tray”
- February 12 | Evanston Rebuilding Warehouse “Beginning Caning ”
- February 13 | Ayla’s Originals “Hearts & Love” BeadTV
- February 16 | Bookends & Beginnings PART I: “From Starter to Loaf: A Two-Part
- Sourdough Workshop with Eric Pallant” (Virtual)
- February 17 | Evanston Rebuilding Warehouse “Make It Take It Floating Shelf”
- February 19 | One River School Hosts Printmaking Workshop on Feb. 19
- February 22 | Evanston Games & Cafe Board Game Night
- February 22 | Bookends & Beginnings “Rituals for Writers” Workshop
- February 23 | CloseKnit Yarn Store Knit Nite
- February 24 | Bookends & Beginnings PART II: “From Starter to Loaf: A Two-Part
Sourdough Workshop with Eric Pallant” (Virtual)
- February 25 | FlowersFlowers “February Flower Design Workshop”
- February 26 | Annie Zirin Wall-Weaving Workshop with Annie Zirin
- February 26 | Grateful Yoga “Cozy Restorative Yoga & Yoga Nidra”
- Celtic Knot “Knotty Cocktails” To Go
- Newport Coffee “Fika Och Bulle” in February –
- Patisserie Coralie “High Tea at Home”
- Prairie Moon “Sunday Lasagna Dinner”
- Madison Grace Blankets & Candles Bundle
- Bookends & Beginnings “Hygge Box”
- Ayla’s Originals “DIY Beading Kits”
- Bookends & Beginnings “Great Big Jigsaw Puzzle Trade-In”
- All Month | Evanston Made “Winter Wonderland” Community Art-Making at Canal Shores
- February 5 | Creative Coworking “Gallery Open House”
- February 11 | “Music of Joy & Peace” at Pick-Staiger Concert Hall
- February 22 | Music Institute of Chicago – Nichols Concert Hall “Time for Three” Concert