Submitted by the City of Evanston
The Evanston Parks & Recreation Department is pleased to announce that the Evanston Dog Beach will officially open for the 2023 season on Wednesday, March 1.
The dog beach, located just south of Clark Street Beach (1811 Sheridan Rd.), is open seasonally from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. seven days a week. All patrons must have a valid dog beach pass to enter.
Purchasing a Dog Beach Pass
Dog beach passes will be available for purchase in-person only beginning Monday, Feb. 27 on weekdays from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the following locations:
- Levy Senior Center, 300 Dodge Ave.
- Fleetwood-Jourdain Community Center, 1655 Foster St.
- Evanston Ecology Center, 2024 McCormick Blvd.
- Chandler-Newberger Community Center, 1028 Central St.
- Robert Crown Community Center, 1801 Main St. (Dog beach passes available from 8:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. daily at Robert Crown only)
Dog beach passes are $75 for residents (60201 and 60202 only) and $200 for non-residents, per dog. Individuals will need to bring a completed vaccination verification form for their pet (see below).
Cook County ordinance requires the city to verify vaccination information before issuing a dog beach pass.
All dog owners must complete the vaccination verification form to provide:
- Proof of their pet’s current vaccinations or titers (antibodies) for Rabies, Distemper (CFV), Hepatitis (Canine Adenovirus-2), Para-influenza (CPIV), Parvovirus (CPV), Leptospirosis and Bordetella (kennel cough)
- Proof of a negative fecal test by a veterinarian’s office for internal parasites within the last year
2023 pet license
All dogs must be licensed by the local government where the dog’s owner lives. City of Evanston pet licenses can be purchased online at cityofevanston.org/pet, by mail, or in person at the City Collector’s Office at the Morton Civic Center, 2100 Ridge Ave. Hours are 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Pet owners should allow up to two weeks to receive their pet license for purchases made online and must provide a copy of their pet’s current rabies vaccination. The annual cost for a pet license is $10 if the pet is neutered or spayed and $15 if not altered. Pet licenses are not sold at Evanston community centers.
“The Dog Beach provides an opportunity for community members’ pets to swim, run and mingle on the shore of beautiful Lake Michigan,” said Recreation Manager Tim Carter. “We are excited to be reopening this amenity for the community to use.”
For more information about the Evanston Dog Beach, visit cityofevanston.org/dogbeach or call/text 847-448-4311. For convenience, residents may simply dial 311 in Evanston.