Submitted by the City of Evanston
The City of Evanston’s Public Works Agency will offer residents free removal of up to six cubic yards of bulk garbage this spring as part of its Bulk Trash Pickup program. Spring 2023 bulk trash pickups will take place on Fridays from April 7 through 28 and are scheduled according to residents’ normal refuse pickup day.
Bulk trash pickup for residents whose normal refuse collection day is:
- Wednesday will be Friday, April 7
- Thursday will be Friday, April 14
- Monday will be Friday, April 21
- Tuesday will be Friday, April 28
Condo buildings and residents that receive a bill from the city for refuse collection services are eligible to participate in bulk trash pickup according to the residential schedule above based on their location (view map). Condos that receive a monthly bill from the franchise waste service provider are not able to participate in the city’s bulk pickup program. Condo residents can find out if they’re eligible by contacting their building management or by calling/texting 847-448-4311.
Bulk trash must meet the following guidelines:
- Items must be less than six cubic yards per household, which is roughly equivalent to a love seat and chair, or one mattress and box spring, or 25 medium garbage bags. Quantities that exceed six cubic yards will be tagged for a special pickup and a fee will be assessed.
- Items must be placed on the alley line or in the parkway, whichever is the resident’s regular refuse collection area, in an orderly fashion by 7 a.m. on the bulk pickup day. (For example, items must be bagged, contained or bundled. No loose garbage.) City crews will not remove items from private property.
- Absolutely no electronics, construction materials, tires, appliances or hazardous materials will be collected. Hazardous materials include batteries, gas, oil, asbestos, pesticides, medical wastes and paint.
- Glass should be broken up, boxed, taped and labeled as glass.
- Crews will only remove bulk items; no garbage carts will be emptied.
Sign up for convenient reminders
Residents are encouraged to visit cityofevanston.org/bulktrash or call/text 847-448-4311 to sign up for convenient text message or email notifications to be reminded of spring and fall bulk trash pickups. Notifications will be sent out two weeks prior to the bulk trash pickup day, and again two days prior to the bulk trash pickup day.
For more information on bulk trash pickup, recycling and other disposal information, visit cityofevanston.org/bulktrash or call/text 847-448-4311. For convenience, residents may simply dial 311 in Evanston.