On Thursday, November 19th the Evanston Fire Department responded to an activated fire alarm call at The Mather, 450 Davis St. When firefighters arrived on scene at the large, multi-unit extended care facility, they found people exiting the building and maintenance staff reporting a kitchen fire on the fifth floor of the 11-story building.  After further investigating, they confirmed that a single sprinkler head had fully extinguished an extending fire that originated on a stove top. Damage was minimal and there were no reported injuries at this incident. 

All newly constructed multi-unit residences are required by City ordinance to have an audible alarm and sprinkler protection system installed. 

"The combination of audible alarms, a sprinkler system and a quick response by the EFD really made the difference. I would hate to think of the outcome of this fire without these important fire protection systems. They worked exactly as designed, saving both lives and property," said Fire Chief Brian Scott.