People who live in Evanston do so for a reason. They may be attracted by the schools, the university, the history, the lakefront or the lifestyle. Most often, they stay here because of a commitment to live in an ethnically and economically diverse population. The Evanston RoundTable was conceived as a way to give voice to this rich and vital community.
The RoundTable has published a newspaper every other week since February 1998. The paper is distributed to 15,000 homes and an additional 3,000 papers are bulk-dropped to more than 50 convenient locations throughout the community.
The RoundTable’s owners and reporters were active in school, political and civic endeavors for years before settling into building this newspaper. In the twenty years since its initial publication, the RoundTable has earned a reputation for clear analysis and fair reporting. We intend to keep this reputation and to build upon it.
Coverage includes City business, commerce, school activities and policies, neighborhood and community-wide events, local theatre, music, and art, as well as people, organizations, businesses or events that are uniquely Evanston. Our letters page and community forum section of our on-line paper are places for an exchange of ideas, not personal attacks. We welcome your input and ideas.
Journalism Awards and Recognitions by the Community
The Evanston RoundTable newspaper and staff members received 15 journalism awards in the “non-daily” category at the annual Northern Illinois Newspaper Association meeting held in DeKalb in October 2018. Honors went to RoundTable staff for reporting on government/public affairs, social issues, education, technology/medical issues, localized news, history, general features, personality profiles, history, sports columns, editorials, and use of humor. The RoundTable’s staff was also recognized for a special section. The awards covered the period May, 2017 through April, 2018.
The RoundTable newspaper and staff members received 15 journalism awards in 2017, 15 in 2016, 16 in 2015, 14 in 2014, 7 in 2013, 14 in 2012, 15 in 2011, 18 in 2010, and 13 in 2009 from the Northern Illinois Newspaper Association.
RoundTable reporters have also been named as finalists on nine occasions for a Peter Lisagor award from the Chicago Headline Club for in depth reporting and editorial writing and won Lisagor awards for best education reporting and best editorials in a community newspaper.
The RoundTablehas also received many awards from the community. We value these awards because they recognize that our writers have addressed a wide range of important issues facing our community in a thoughtful and professional manner:
- 2015 – Community Service Award presented by the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, Evanston/North Shore Branch, because of the RoundTable’s “commitment to honest and faithful reporting and true interest in community issues.”
- 2011 - The Annual Donald R. Grubb Award for non-daily Newspaper Publishing Excellence, presented by the Journalism Department, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb (tied).
- 2010 - The Annual Donald R. Grubb Award for non-daily Newspaper Publishing Excellence, presented by the Journalism Department, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb
- 2009 - Kiwanis Club of Evanston, George F. Hixon Fellow award - to Mary Helt Gavin, publisher
- 2009 - Housing Options Community Partnership Award - to the RoundTable, "For its commitment to addressing topics of importance to the community, including mental health and social issues."
- 2008 - Evanston Chamber of Commerce Small Business Person of the Year - to Mary Helt Gavin, publisher, "Mary Gavin and her staff give an audience of over 20,000 incisive writing and reporting and in-depth local coverage of major issues impacting the community."
- 2007 - Studs Terkel Award, presented by the Community Media Workshop - to Mary Helt Gavin, publisher, "In recognition of your long-standing excellence in reporting about Chicago's diverse communities and encouraging the citizens helping to shape the city's future."
- 2007 -State of Illinois House of Representatives - a resolution congratulating Mary Helt Gavin, publisher, for receipt of the Studs Terkel Award "presented to outstanding media professionals for excellence in covering and reflecting Chicago's diverse communities."
- 2007 - Cook County Board of Commissioners - to the RoundTable, "The Board of Commissioners of Cook County does hereby congratulate the Evanston RoundTable for its receipt of the 2007 Studs Terkel Award and commend it for its focus on community life and issues.
- 2007 - City of Evanston Environmental Stewardship Award - to the RoundTable, "For their journalistic approach to the environment, support of community issues, events and initiatives, and a commitment to a green future in Evanston."
- 2007 - Child Care Network, Hand in Hand Award - to the RoundTable for "Supporting early child care and education."
- 2005 - Evanston Substance Abuse & Prevention Award - to the RoundTable, "In recognition of your commitment and active participation in preventing substance abuse in Evanston by publishing the monthly series Prevention Matters."
- 2001 - Earthweek Award - to the RoundTable "For helping to create a safe environment, and for their sponsorship of the Earth Week Evanston initiatives in April 2001."
Click to View Upcoming EventsSubmit Event